Re: HYB: HIST: pedigrees & tests

  • Subject: Re: HYB: HIST: pedigrees & tests
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:37:59 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Jeff Walters wrote:
> Check Mike's pedigree charts again - SNOW FLURRY is not an ancestor of

I knew I was going to regret trying to do that from memory...

The three historics that I am growing this year that have evergreen
foliage pretty much undamaged by these rollercoaster freezes so far (too
soon to tell about the current freeze) are VIOLET HARMONY, BLUE RHYTHM,

WHOLE CLOTH has been a little bit damaged, but seems to be in the
ancestry of most of my most reliably undamaged fall deciduous bloomers
here.  It doesn't come from SNOW FLURRY, but is descended from PURISSIMA

So those are 4 irises I am very curious about sorting out 'behavior' of

AMAS and RICARDI, according to TWOI (memory again - where IS that book
this morning) are thought to be collected versions of ?mesopotamica? or
one of those Mediterranean species, so I'd like to give them a workout.

LENT A WILLIAMSON shows up in the pedigrees of the pinks and of WABASH,
another excellent performer here with the same deciduous foliage as the
WHOLE CLOTH descendants.

Re: BLUE RHYTHM, Jeff wrote:
< CRUSADER - it's 4 generations back, but it is a first generation   <
tetraploid out of I. cypriana

Sounds like one I will add to my list.

Jeff continued:
> How about the pinks? Hall's flamingo pink lines were essentially derived
> from crosses among five cultivars: W.R. DYKES, DOLLY MADISON, MOROCCO

I have had RAMESES for a couple of years and it seems to be a good
reliable bloomer, but I haven't been watching it this winter.  I also
have PINK TAFFETA and MARY RANDALL, but they both arrived in October and
are out in the "killing fields" rather than the new rebloomer/good soil
beds.  I haven't taken notes on them because they didn't have a chance
to get established before the really cold weather got here in November
(which was colder than most of January!).  They are both alive tho, so
maybe next year...RAMESES looks like yer basic ordinary iris - lots of
winter damaged foliage on an otherwise healthy looking clump.

The problem with the pinks is that I don't currently grow any that I
consider the very best in performance.  VANITY probably would be if she
bloomed just a little bit later.  She does bloom every year, but some
years is stunted or otherwise mangled by late freezes.  In looking at
pedigrees, I notice that PINK TOWER is in the ancestry of SURRENDER,
which is a superior performer here (when cultivated) and P T comes from
GOLDEN EAGLE, which I somewhere or other got the idea has some kind of
dwarf ancestry (reichenbachii?).  I don't think I was able to find
GOLDEN EAGLE last year - can't remember if I looked for PINK TOWER.  I
would really like to try both of these.

I'm talking about two different questions here -
(1) where does this freeze tolerant evergreen foliage come from [I don't
know yet how these will bloom here], and
(2) where does the fall deciduous, delayed growth of my bestest
performers come from.  Very different growth habits.

I don't have a good "question" yet for the pinks.

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.  This is going to turn into one of
those humongous wish lists if I'm not careful! I will probably try to
keep it down to 10 or so "new" ones.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA