ADMIN: Review Time

  • Subject: ADMIN: Review Time
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:00:05 -0800

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

I think it is time to review some of the list policies. We are a large and
very diverse group, and the policies were designed to help keep the list
running smoothly. It is a matter of consideration for others on the list for
each of us to adhere to these policies to the best of our abilities.

If you have any questions, please contact me at my address below.

2. POLICIES

 iris-talk@onelist.com is an unmoderated list. This means the
 list owner does not personally review each message to decide
 if it's appropriate. This responsibility rests with the subscribers.

 Please note the following policies.

 These are not laws or restrictions, just suggested practices that
 (if most of us follow them) will make the list more useful,
 manageable, and pleasant for all. Please show your "good
 citizenship" by reading these guidelines, keeping them for
 reference, and using them when you post to the list.

 1) Junk Mail. Do not post messages that are circulating through
 the internet at large. This includes virus warnings, humor, chain
 letters, charity appeals, etc. This is not the place for them.

 2) Matters for the List Owner. If someone posts something you
 think is inappropriate, or if you want to make a comment
 regarding problems with the list culture or the list policies,
 you are encouraged to refer the matter to the list moderator, off-
 list (at jijones@ix.netcom.com), rather than posting to the list about
 it. This will keep our discussions more polite and also more
 iris-oriented. Be tolerant...even of those who do not follow
 these guidelines. Often it's best to just let it be.

 3) Potentially Offensive Subjects. Do not post anything with
 political or religious content, even if there is some tenuous
 connection with irises. Some people have very strong feelings on
 these topics, and there is no reason to risk starting a heated
 debate over something that is rather clearly off-topic to begin
 with. By the same rationale, avoid using profanity, even in jest.

 4) Flames. Do not flame! When does a discussion become a flame?
 That's a judgment call, of course. Examine your emotions as you
 type. If you're "worked up" over the message you're replying to,
 don't send. Wait a day and think it over.

 5) Subject Lines. CHECK the subject line before you send, even if
 you are replying to a previously posted message. If the subject
 line accurately reflects the content of your message, leave it
 alone! If it doesn't, change it!

 6) On-List/Off-List. CHECK the recipient line before you send. If
 it says "iris-talk@onelist.com" the posting will go to each and every
 subscriber on the list. Often, this is what you want. But if the
 message is personal, off-topic, or of very limited interest, it
 should probably be sent to one (or a few) particular recipients,
 off-list.

 7) Attachments. Do not send binary attachments, such as digitized
 images, to the list.

 8) Message Length. Watch the size of your message. When replying
 to a previously posted message, trim the quotation down to the
 minimum needed to establish context.

 9) Subject Tags. Use the official subject tags (see below)
 whenever possible.

 10) Try not to bother the list with something you can easily
 find on your own, without involving 300 other people.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

To reply to me personally click on