Re: HYB: HIST: pedigrees & tests

  • Subject: Re: HYB: HIST: pedigrees & tests
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:22:18 -0700

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>
> The three historics that I am growing this year that have evergreen
> foliage pretty much undamaged by these rollercoaster freezes so far (too
> soon to tell about the current freeze) are VIOLET HARMONY, BLUE RHYTHM,
> and NEW SNOW.  NEW SNOW and VIOLET HARMONY come from SNOW FLURRY --
> PURISSIMA --> ARGENTINA --> CATERINA/KASHMIR WHITE.

I have VH and BR, but not NS. Before they disappeared under the snow again
they did not appear to be trying to maintain evergreen foliage. Among my
historics the ones that were staying green were CONQUISTADOR, and to a
lesser extent its grandchild GREAT LAKES. CONQ is, of course, the other
parent of PURISSIMA, and also works its way into WHOLE CLOTH's pedigree by
way of SHINING WATERS, which was the TB parent of PROGENITOR.

> AMAS and RICARDI, according to TWOI (memory again - where IS that book
> this morning) are thought to be collected versions of ?mesopotamica? or
> one of those Mediterranean species, so I'd like to give them a workout.

RICARDI, which was recorded as collected in Palestine, is considered to be
a variant of mesopotamica. AMAS was named for the site of its collection,
which is near the Black Sea coast of Turkey, which is the
opposite(northern) side of the country from where mesopotamica was
collected.

> LENT A WILLIAMSON shows up in the pedigrees of the pinks and of WABASH,
> another excellent performer here with the same deciduous foliage as the
> WHOLE CLOTH descendants.

The TBs observed to have tendencies towards evergreen foliage seem to show
a lot of mesopotamica-cypriana-RICARDI in their ancestry. The tetraploid
ancestor of L A W is AMAS. Could be an indication here of some significant
genetic differences among the various Middle Eastern tetraploid "species".

jcwalters@bridgernet.com