REF: Antiquarian Books etc.

  • Subject: REF: Antiquarian Books etc.
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:30:04 -0800

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

I went to the Antiquarian Bookfair this weekend and I thought some of you
might be interested in a few things I saw.

I (unfortunately) didn't see anything I was interested in, but I did locate a
copy of Dykes, The Genus Iris, 1913 edition for a mere $1250.00. Then there
were the full color prints done in 1814 of Iris Germanica (purple blue self,
white streaks on the halfs, yellow tipped beards) and of Iris Scorpioides.
(The only reference I can find on I.s is in the WOI that says it is a synonym
for I. planifolia, a member of the Juno family (Subgenus Scorpiris)). The
prints were gorgeous. I would have bought them in an instant if I had had a
little extra pocket change (like $9000 and $5000 respectively). Anyone
interested? Contact me in private (I promise not to tell anyone how badly you
have the iris virus)

All in all, a good time. Saw some original Audibon prints (amazing). As well,
I had never before seen a book selling for $142,000.00...

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:

To reply to me personally click on
Fremont, California, USA