Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings
  • From: StorYlade@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:44:50 EST

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 2/15/1999 1:12:29 PM Central Standard Time, IRISROT@aol.com
writes:

<< I sure had my eyes opened with this test. If you can plant your iris in a
 gallon pot and get 60-70 percent or more bloom the next year that in itself
is
 a major step. I will get my information together...I most likley will post
 this in either two or three posts. I managed to do quiet a few crosses.  >>

Another way to approach this is to limit the number of seeds planted in each
pot.  I buy used mum pots because my local nursery discards them in a huge
pile in the back of the nursery.  They can be purchased at a reduced price,
scrubbed in a bleach solution, and dried in the sun.  I've a couple hundred of
these so it would not be economical to discard them and purchase gallon
(probably rose) pots.

You can also insure a large percentage of bloom on 1st year seedlings if you
fertilize the seedlings while in the pot to insure they are large enough by
transplanting time, transplant as early as possible (when depends of your
area), and continue to fertilize intermittently until late summer.

The healthiest and most beautiful seedlings (sprouted that spring) I've ever
seen were planted at the edge of a flower bed in the front yard of Dave
Niswonger.  Great color and broad fans!  Didn't ask about culture.

Betty Wilkerson from Bowling Green, KY.