Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:45:06 -0800

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

IRISROT@aol.com wrote:

> Some of you may be interested in this....I picked my iris pods in 1997 while
> still green just as the pod was turning white on the end and beginning to
> shrivel. I then planted them immediately in two size of pots. I didn't worry
> whether the seedling was an SDB or a TB when planting. I used a qt  and a
> gallon pot and lsome intersting things from this experiment. The ones planted
> in the quart size containers were still very small plants in July while the
> ones planted in the gallon containers were very large. About 1/4 of these will
> bloom this coming spring if I had planted them in the spring as I should have
> most of these would have bloomed. I also have info on how many seed I planted
> of each variety and also germination times. If you would like I will post this
> information. I plan on doing this experiment again this coming year to see if
> I get the same results. But I did find that germination was very good better
> than what I have had in the past.

This is intereesting Jim.

Do you recall if the plants in the qt pots appeared more root bound than those
in the gallon pots.

I wonder if the smaller pots got drier or hotter (because of less soil mass)
than the gallon pots. Less food available?

Do you distribute you seeds over the surface of the pot or keep them in a
bunch in the middle.

I had been thinking about planting seeds immediately after harvesting too. Do
you think you got better germination rates than by letting them dry out first.

Did any of these seeds germinate before winter srrived?

Just full of questions today....

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones