Re: Cult: Sdlgs. Moving out of Region 7, etc.

  • Subject: Re: Cult: Sdlgs. Moving out of Region 7, etc.
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:50:28 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Walter Moores wrote:
> And Tennessee (Region 7) is the only state that has the iris as
> the
> state flower!  Which iris?

Why, the bearded iris, of course.  A result of lobbying by Tennessee
hybridizers living near the state capitol back in the ?'30s?  I figure
it must have been one of those decades when the weather wasn't very
interesting.  :)

> I think there are areas in each region
> that are not terribly hospitable to the culture  of
> certain types of irises.  In a sixties vintage AIS Bulletin,  mention
> was made that bearded irises could not thrive south of  Interstate
> Highway 20, which, of course, is untrue.  A map was shown and there
> was this 'Line of Demarcation' on the map stretching from Georgia
> into Texas and on westward.

Wouldn't be zone 7b by any chance???

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA, zone 7b, the same as north Georgia west
through Walter Moore's place in "Baja" Tennessee (north Mississippi) to