Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings
  • From: IRISROT@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:34:21 EST

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 2/15/99 1:44:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jijones@ix.netcom.com writes:

> This is intereesting Jim.
>
>  Do you recall if the plants in the qt pots appeared more root bound than
> those
>  in the gallon pots.

Actually didn't seem to anymore root bound than the gallon pot. But all the
plants were very small.

I wonder if the smaller pots got drier or hotter (because of less soil mass)
than the gallon pots. Less food available?

No, I really don't think that was the case. I kept them in the greenhouse
until late May at which time I moved them into shade till I made a place to
plant them.

Do you distribute you seeds over the surface of the pot or keep them in a
bunch in the middle.

I had been thinking about planting seeds immediately after harvesting too. Do
you think you got better germination rates than by letting them dry out first.

I planted all seed right in the middle of the pot.
Yes, I diffently got better germination.

Did any of these seeds germinate before winter srrived?

Yes...you will see the dates I planted and when they started germinating. I
don't want to ruin the surprise.
I will be posting the information very soon.

								Jim Loveland    Fenton, MO  Zone 5