Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 05:47:58 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Jan Clark in Oz wrote:
> I'm
> seriously thinking of doing this with those crosses which only produced
> a few seeds, and which I particularly want to see bloom. I know this is
> coddling,

There is nothing wrong or bad about coddling seedlings, or grown up
plants for that matter.  As Lowell Baumunk posted recently, most folks
will provide as close to the best conditions possible to make their
plants thrive.  As a hybridizer, if you are trying to get some new color
or pattern, it might only show up on a plant with otherwise poor vigor -
not what you want, but if that's the only way you can get it, then hang
onto it.  For those of us in rollercoaster land, where climate is more
of a problem than soil or culture, it's a different story.  If we coddle
now, we will lose them sooner or later anyway.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA