Re: seed germination

  • Subject: Re: seed germination
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:20:19 -0500

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Randy Meuir wrote:

>Al Roderick plants his TB seeds in a clump instead of spreading them out
>or lining them out. I do not know if this is a common practice or not.
>Al's theory is that when the first seed germinates it sends a signal to
>the other seeds (I assume some chemical) which in turn causes them to
>start germinating. I think this is a good method to increase germination
>of dried seeds.

	This sounds enticing but what is the *signal* that the first
	seed gets for germination? This is the way I have planted iris
	seeds for the past three years..there is always a first green
	shoot and then subsequent ones. From now on, I will look as the
	first-born as either a traffic cop or choir director and give
	it top billing and heaps of praise for being my little helper. :)