Re: seed germination

  • Subject: Re: seed germination
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:00:30 PST

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Randy Meuir wrote:
>Al's theory is that when the first seed germinates it sends a signal to
the other seeds (I assume some chemical) which in turn causes them to
start germinating. I think this is a good method to increase germination
of dried seeds.

The first to germinate obviously does so without a chemical signal from
it's peers. I wonder if this is a genetic predisposition. If so, it
might be possible to selectively breed for seeds which break germination
more rapidly. I'd like to see someone trying to put a label on that
first little seedling in the group.
Jan Clark, just rambling away in Aus.