Re: HYB: seed germination

From: "Randy C. Meuir" <rmeuir@mail.coin.missouri.edu>

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Randy C. Meuir wrote:

> From: "Randy C. Meuir" <rmeuir@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
> The only problem with planting seeds fresh from the pod here is that you
> need a place to provide protection from the cold. I dried all my seeds
> last year because I did not have room under my lights for them.
> Randy,
> Columbia, MO
  zone 5

I should have said I dried all my TB seeds last year(except for one pod).
I tried to germinate my median seeds by placing them in plastic bags fresh
from the pod and refrigerating them for a couple of months before planting
them in pots. I do not think the temperature in the frig was low enough
because the seeds became covered with green slime. I planted them and was
surprised when some of the crosses had good germination. I had very
little germination in some pots. I think if the temperature had been
maintained at near freezing, germination would have been higher overall.
The one TB cross had great germination. Has anyone tried bagging and
refrigerating fresh iris seeds?

zone 5