Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Coddling Seedlings
  • From: "David G. Holm" <sherlock@amigo.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:48:15 -0700

From: "David G. Holm" <sherlock@amigo.net>

On 13 Feb 99, at 19:13, Lbaumunk@aol.com wrote:

> I'm a big believer in coddling seedlings.  I sometimes read hybridizers
> saying that they treat seedlings roughly, and that if they die, all the
> better because that cultivar wouldn't be sufficiently hardy.

I agree with Lowell's statement.  There are many variables that can
determine whether a seedling survies or not that have no correlation (+ or -)
with the eventual vigor or hardiness of the resulting plant.  If we would
discard weaker seedlings in our potato breeding program we would be
discarding potential new cultivars or at least potential germplasm for
continued crossing and improvement.

Dave Holm
Professor of Horticulture (Potato Breeding)
Colorado State University

Home e-mail:  sherlock@amigo.net