Re: SHOW: Exhibitors in Artistic Division

  • Subject: Re: SHOW: Exhibitors in Artistic Division
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:16:11

From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>

Jeff wrote:

>Here in Region 12 the exhibitors in the the Artistic Division of the Iris
>Shows are a mix of Garden Club members who are not iris growers and iris
>growers who are garden club members. Typically, iris growers will make
>stalks available to those who enter the Artistic Division who do not grow
>their own irises, so we see few "inferior" irises in the artistic entries
>at our shows. I believe the public is very favorably impressed by the
>results achieved when high quality irises are combined with designing
>talent in the Artistic Division of the show.

You betcha.  The best show our local club ever had was 3 years ago when we
managed to persuade a local garden club to "go in" with us.  They were
completely responsible for the design section, and "we" were responsible
for the horticulture section.  Mother Nature smiled on us that year, and we
had an abundance of bloom.  The designs added a wonderful dimension to the
horticultural display.  There were table arrangements--complete with place
settings, lighted niches, pedestal designs.....it was WONDERFUL!  And we
could see the added interest it generated from passers-by.

It is also a tremendous amount of work on the part of the garden
clubbers.....and since we exhibit in a mall....the venue can be a bit
"challenging."  Consequently, we can only cajole a club into doing this
with us once every 3 years or so....but what a  spectacle it is!

Dorothy Stiefel
(Newfield, NY)