SHOW: Exhibitors in Artistic Division

  • Subject: SHOW: Exhibitors in Artistic Division
  • From: StorYlade@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:53:28 EST

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 2/17/1999 8:56:21 AM Central Standard Time,
jcwalters@bridgernet.com writes:

<< Typically, iris growers will make
 stalks available to those who enter the Artistic Division who do not grow
 their own irises, so we see few "inferior" irises in the artistic entries
 at our shows. I believe the public is very favorably impressed by the
 results achieved when high quality irises are combined with designing
 talent in the Artistic Division of the show. >>

	The Southern Kentucky Iris Society typically hosts one of the best iris shows
in the region.  The garden club and the iris society have a couple of members
in common that work hard for both organizations.  There is a design section
which is always judged by the garden club.  It allows their judges to make
points that they need for the garden club, and it gives our show variety with
some darn good designs.  Our shows are better as a result of the design
section.
	There is an assumption in our club that iris judges know irises better than
garden club judges.  I think AIS would have problems with us if we started
asking garden club judges to judge our horticultural exhibits.  By the same
token we rely on garden club judges to judge the designs.  It's clearly their
territory.
	The night before the show, while we're setting up, the chairperson for the
design section will say something like, "We're going to need a lot of white
irises tomorrow for the designs."  Or what ever color the themes call for.
Members with large gardens bring in extras.  Also, flowers that reach the
setup area but are deemed unworthy of horticulture exhibition for some reason
are placed in a bucket for the design committee whose requirements are usually
very different from horticulture.
	The results provides something for everyone who views our show.  They always
get more than they pay for!  LOL

Betty Wilkerson from Bowling Green, KY. ---promising herself she'll never do
another design.