HYB: Strength

From: StorYlade@aol.com

We've kicked around the subject of coddling iris seed, seedlings, and regular
irises.  There are as many answers as there are iris growers.  Surely the
answer depends partially on the individual goal.  Here I deal with it from the
hybridizers view point rather than the view point of either the garden grower
or the show bench grower. (IMO, each is different.)

There are two types of seedlings that hybridizers keep.

1)	Irises they think should be introduced for some reason--everyone has
different reasons.  After all, beauty is said to be in the eye of the
beholder, and I think we're agreed that there is no 'perfect' iris?  (If you
know of a perfect iris, please respond)

2)	Irises they keep for personal reasons: seedlings they feel will advance
future hybridizing programs, and irises they like.  The latter category may
have no commercial value at all.

	Could we, possibly, agree that irises introduced to the general public should
hold some hope of blooming somewhere for someone?

	How would you, both hybridizers and growers, suggest we provide strength and
gardenability to the general public?

Betty Wilkerson from Bowling Green Kentucky.  More rain.  Thank goodness all
my irises are in 6 to 8 inch raised beds.