Re: HYB: Seed Culture

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Seed Culture
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:30:13 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
> Walter Moores wrote:
> >       With the plastic bag method, you need a potting soil mix to avoid
> >   the green slime problem.
> I've tried a number of different media and found that perlite works best.
> Just plain perlite that you can buy at a builder's supply.  Add as much
> water as the perlite will soak up, drain away any excess.  Also, don't
> completely seal the bags.  Fold-over sandwich bags work.  Zip-Lock bags
> promote the green slime.
> Sharon McAllister

	I prefer to freeze the seeds from mid August to mid November and
then plant the seeds in pots on a mild November day and then sink the
pots in the ground.

	As I write, I have five germinations in the pot of PINK BETTERMENT X
KANDI MOON, three in ZERZURA X TEL AVIV, a few scattered  TB
germinations and one big surprise of five germinations in the JI
cross of ROYAL PAGEANT X SPRINGTIME SNOW.  This is the earliest the
JI's have ever germinated.

	You better believe that these will be coddled if we should have a
hard freeze.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (thinking seriously about Little Rock after
receiving the LA Convention promotional material)

We have a new web site! http://www.onelist.com