Re: HYB: Seed Culture

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Seed Culture
  • From: "Gary D. Sides" <irisman@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:45:05 -0600

From: "Gary D. Sides" <irisman@mindspring.com>

> Walter Moores wrote:  I prefer to freeze the seeds from mid August to mid
November and then plant the seeds in pots on a mild November day and then
sink the
pots in the ground.

So, do you wet them before you freeze them?  Or do they go in the freezer
dry?

Last winter, we had such little cold that my seeds started germinating in
their trays in mid-January which was way too early.  So this year, I wet
mine, which are stored in nylon pantyhose strips (it's a long story, but
works for me!) and then put them in containers and froze and thawed them
alternately for 3 months and planted them in my trays 10 days ago.  Now they
will go into my homemade cold frame and I impatiently await germination.
Always before they have begun to germinate after about 2 1/2 -- 3 weeks
after I have put them in where it's warmer.  We shall see what we shall see.

It is always interesting to find out how many ways people treat their seeds
and still manage to get germination.  Some years better than others for many
reasons.

Anyone care to share more????

Gary D. Sides   Nashville, TN  USDA 6/7   irisman@mindspring.com
Bearded Iris Rebloom is Up and Coming!  Get some today!

New hobbies? New interests? Sign up for a new ONElist community.
http://www.onelist.com