Re: seed germination

  • Subject: Re: seed germination
  • From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:18:13 -0600

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

>Randy Meuir wrote:
>>Al's theory is that when the first seed germinates it sends a signal to
>the other seeds (I assume some chemical) which in turn causes them to
>start germinating. I think this is a good method to increase germination
>of dried seeds.

Would this work as a test of the theory that the first germination sends
some sort of signal to the other seeds?

Set up three pots for seedling culture. In one pot, plant one just-ripened
seed and several overripened (dried) seeds. In another pot, plant only
overripened seeds; and then in the third pot, plant all just-ripe seeds.
Watch what happens.

If germination triggers more germination, then the seeds in the first pot
should start faster than the seeds in the second pot. Seeds in the third
pot would be a control.

celia
mailto:storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level, Little Rock soils are often acid, sandy loam, rocky
average rainfall about 49 inches (more than 60" in '97, but less than 42"
in '98)
High humidity, moderate winters, hot summers; but conditions seesaw
Extreme recorded temps: HI 110 F, LO -13 F

Suggestions on how we can improve ONElist? Go to the 'Suggestion'
box on our new web site. http://www.onelist.com