Re: seed germination

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, celia storey wrote:

> From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>
> >Randy Meuir wrote:
> >>Al's theory is that when the first seed germinates it sends a signal to
> >the other seeds (I assume some chemical) which in turn causes them to
> >start germinating. I think this is a good method to increase germination
> >of dried seeds.
> >
> Would this work as a test of the theory that the first germination sends
> some sort of signal to the other seeds?
> Set up three pots for seedling culture. In one pot, plant one just-ripened
> seed and several overripened (dried) seeds. In another pot, plant only
> overripened seeds; and then in the third pot, plant all just-ripe seeds.
> Watch what happens.
> If germination triggers more germination, then the seeds in the first pot
> should start faster than the seeds in the second pot. Seeds in the third
> pot would be a control.
> celia mailto:storey@aristotle.net Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b

Celia, This sounds interesting. Please keep us posted. TIA. How do you
tell overripened seeds from reasonably ripened seeds? Do they comein the
same pods?

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page

We now have over 85,000 e-mail communities. Check out our new web site!