ADMIN: Review Time - continued

  • Subject: ADMIN: Review Time - continued
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:15:52 -0800

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

I hope this will lessen the confusion extending from my first post on the
subject of list policies:

2b. Subject Tags

 Here is the list of subject tags, which I encourage everyone to
 use to preface the subject lines of their messages to iris-talk.
*** Please use the tags as they are given; do not invent variations.***
 If the practice loses its consistency, it will also lose much of
 its usefulness. I know this is a long listing, but that is a
 reflection of the breadth and variety of our discussions. Don't
 be intimidated; they will become quickly familiar after a short
 time. Try to use the tag that fits your message best. It is often
 appropriate to combine a tag from the first set (types of irises)
 with one from another set. If nothing fits, pick the best you can.

Subject tags are used to help subscribers who use filters to sort their mail,
and for others to decide whether they want to read or delete a message.
Remember it is desireable to fix an incorrect (or missing) Subject Tag when
you reply to a message, and to change the Tag and Subject if your reply is
wondering far afield of the original subject.

The format is the tag in ALL CAPS, followed by a colon (:), followed by your
subject. (no space between the subject tag and the colon)

[Subject tag]:[your subject description]

The colon is a very important part of the tag.

For instance:

REB: Mariposa Skies in California

 TB:    tall bearded irises
 MED:   median and dwarf bearded irises
 AR:    arilbred and aril irises
 SIB:   Siberian irises
 LA:    Louisiana irises
 JI:    Japanese irises
 SPU:   spuria irises
 PCN:   Pacific coast native irises
 BULB:  bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
 SPEC:  iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

 REB:   reblooming irises
 SA:    space-age irises
 HIST:  historic irises and history of iris development

 CULT:  culture
 HYB:   hybridizing
 REF:   references (books and society publications)
 SHOW:  iris shows and related topics
 IRC:   IRC chat sessions (currently Friday nights)
 AIS:   American Iris Society business and issues
 PHOTO: iris photography
 COMP:  iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
 CAT:   iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
 AD:    iris-related advertisement (ads not related to irises are *not*
 welcome!)

 OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
 OT-ART:    iris-motif art and craftwork
 OT-HUMOR:  iris-related humor
 OT-CHAT:   personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off-list!)
 OT-BIO:    introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)

 ADMIN: list administration issues (reserved for the list owner)

2c. Cutting Unwanted Text From Reply Messages

Yes, Yes, I know.  I can hear the whining now. "Why should I bother?" "I donít
want to take the time." "I donít know how"Ö

In reality there are some very good reasons for making your repky messages as
short as possible, and for trimming any spurious text out of them. The most
important is of course that you want people to read your message and you want
to get your point across as clearly as possible. So why would you want them to
have to search down a long page of irrelevant junk and possibly miss your
pearls of wisdom? If you trim unwanted text out of the quoted reply text and
add your thoughts to the relevant part of the message, then your reader is
likely to more easily get your point. After all, since you are taking the time
to send a message, it must be important enough to warrant your time, so it
would seem wise to do what you can to get it across clearly. Set your comments
off from the quoted text (a blank line is the easiest way), cut out the quoted
text that is not relevant to your reply, get rid of the previous signature
blocks and the onelist paragraphs, check the Subject line and send that
message. It is really easy. We could go into the "it saves electrons", "less
wear and tear on the phone lines", "doesnít take so much disk space", and the
like, but none of that is anywhere near as important as getting you point
across.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones