HYB: Seed Culture & Region 7

  • Subject: HYB: Seed Culture & Region 7
  • From: StorYlade@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:44:15 EST

From: StorYlade@aol.com

Good Morning Listers,

	Until reading from this list, I didn't know that sprouting iris seed could be
so troublesome.  I've always collected them, dried them carefully by shaking
the container each day (I use business envelopes, which I seal.), stored in a
dry place, and planted in pots around Christmas.  I wait until I can depend on
it being cold, so I WONT get sprouts before cold weather.  New seedlings can't
survive without protection.
	Once I've potted the seed, I soak them well, usually soak once a day for two
or three days.   Then I cover the pots with the chicken wire, and, once the
ground is frozen, I add a 6 to 8 inch layer of mulch, and water well again.  I
would bury the pots if I had a place or the energy because I got nearly 100%
germination the one year that I did the above AND buried the pots.  (I put 120
seed in one pot and sprouted 122 seed!  How's THAT for germination?)  LOL.
Surrounding the pots with mulch does almost as well.

Once I've done all this, I try to ignore the pots until about the middle of
March.  Basically, I let mother nature handle things at this point.  Some
times, I hear them calling me and I'll go and raise the corner of the wire and
take a peek--just to make sure they're not partying or something.  Once the
seed start to sprout I lift the wire, peeling away the mulch as I go.

Is it possible that our rollercoaster weather in Region 7 has a silver lining?
I believe the alternate freezing and thawing aids in germination.

Betty Wilkerson in Bowling Green, KY.    Getting iris withdrawal symptoms!
BTW  .   .   .  I'll supply an address for anyone who wants to send me an iris

Suggestions on how we can improve ONElist? Go to the 'Suggestion'
box on our new web site. http://www.onelist.com