HIST: HYB: Golden Eagle, W.R. Dykes, dwarves?

  • Subject: HIST: HYB: Golden Eagle, W.R. Dykes, dwarves?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:15:39 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

There is a note in TWOI (The World of Iris) that W.R. Dykes' ancestry is
unknown but that it is thought to include dwarf genes.
"It is generally believed that Dykes's pale yellow MOONLIGHT and his
red-toned PEERLESS are in the ancestry of W.R.Dykes, and there is some
evidence to support Nicholls's belief that dwarf irises were also
involved (Loomis 1936)."  TWOI p 86.

Loomis, P.A. 1936. Taming the chromosomes.  AIS bulletin #61: pages

When I was looking for common ancestors amongst the summer/fall
deciduous cultivars that are my most reliable bloomers here, GOLDEN
EAGLE, descended from W.R.DYKES, was one of the ancestors that was in
more than one pedigree.  In my notes, I wrote that the dwarf ancestry
for W.R.DYKES is probably I. reichenbachii, but I can't figure out where
I got that idea.  I can't find any discussion about it in the archives -
could this have been an offlist discussion (maybe with Clarence?) that I
didn't save?  Or did I just decide that it was more likely to be
reichenbachii/balkana than the less heat tolerant pumila?   Why not

Dorothy, can you come from your sickbed to tell me what the Loomis
article says?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Ta Da! See our new web site. http://www.onelist.com