SPEC:CULT-Germination, for the Starlord

  • Subject: SPEC:CULT-Germination, for the Starlord
  • From: HIPSource@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:03:54 EST

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Assuming I've understood you correctly, yes, Dennis, you do have time to start
some of these.

The Iris versicolor and the Iris siberica do not need a cold treatment in
order to germinate. If you want to start them inside then just soak them for
three or four days in several changes of water and sow them on the surface of
a pot of loose medium or vermiculite, cover with clear plastic wrap and leave
them in a sunny warm place, not direct sun. They should do something within a
month. Or you can just sow them in a little pot and put them outside in a safe
place and let the spring rains get to them. Don't cover the seeds up since
they like light shining on them. Keep the pot moist and don't let birds or
critters get them. Around here I'd expect them to start germinating about the
middle of April. Only thing you have to watch out for after they start
germinating is a real nasty hard freeze which can cause problems.

Don't know exactly what you have there as a Sino-Sib, but my expectation would
be that it would respond to the same treatment since that is what I have used
for all the Sibericae. But I've had various spuria species behave in different
ways. When in doubt I put seeds outside and let nature take its course, but
that is over a winter.  You might want to give those a soak and a two month
chill in a moist towel in a baggie in the bottom of the refrigerator, then put
them outside in a pot. They might not germinate until the next fall.

Anner Whitehead

Come see our new web site! http://www.onelist.com