Re; CULT: Growing arils

From: "Jan Jacobsen" <jacobsen.dorph@get2net.dk>

Hi all
I saw this entry, and want to tell how I try, to get those iris grow here in Denmark.
We have also a considerable  amount of rain during summer, so the aril iris can not just be grown without protection. I grow the few arilbreds I have , in the rockgarden where they can be protected from rain during summer, and frost and rain during winter, the protection is loose frames which  cannot keep the frost out, but as long as the soil is kept reasonably dry, there are no major problems.This winter i have lost a few arilbreds but none of the species . So far it is looking good , and I hope to have some new flowers this year.
I do not water the Iris until we are free from frost probably mid Marts,then they get water and nutrients, the species will flower in early June with a little luck.
The old Regelia hybrids are grown in front of a south wall , where they really like it and multiply quickly. This spot can also be covered during winter, companion plants are Fritillaria ,some lily species which also prefer the dry winter.
Jan Jacobsen DENMARK rain -frost -4 - +3C.

Come see our new web site! http://www.onelist.com