Re: OT-BIO

  • Subject: Re: OT-BIO
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:27:45 -0600

From: Arnold Koekkoek <koekkoek@mtcnet.net>

Hello to all you irisarians:
    I am not exactly new to this list, as some of you will recognize, but I
have been off of it since mid-December.  Since then I have totally retired
from my college teaching job (history), cleared out my office, and
established myself in front of a new computer at home.  For the informatioin
of those who may have joined this list since I signed off, I've been an AIS
member for about 10-12 years, grow 500+ diff. varieties of iris, mostly TBs,
but quite a few medians, too, a few spuria, and an increasing number of
Siberians.  My wife, Carol, and I belong to the Siouxland Iris Society,
which will have its monthly meeting tomorrow.  We meet every month except
January.  I expect I will enjoy being back on the list, just as I enjoyed it
(and iris-l) before, since there is always something new to learn.  Already
I have read some familiar signatures, as I began to get the list mail late
this morning, and I look forward to lots more.
    An item of some interest:  We spent the middle weeks of January enjoying
the sun and warmth of Arizona, staying in Mesa but sightsee-
ing all over the place.  In downtown Phoenix, in the historical/cultural
center area, I found an iris bed which had 3-4 iris IN BLOOM.  I did not
expect this in mid-January, not even there.  These were an older white
variety, TB judging by the height, but I have no idea what variety. Anybody
want to venture a guess?  Or does anybody happen to know?

Arnold Koekkoek

Suggestions on how we can improve ONElist? Go to the 'Suggestion'
box on our new web site. http://www.onelist.com