Re: SPEC: OT: reticulata and the sequence of bloom

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: OT: reticulata and the sequence of bloom
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:30:31 -0800

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Linda writes on reticulatas:
> There was speculation that they
> need moist, but well-drained, fertile sandy soil.
None of the above apply, yet they have bloomed much better this year
than last year, the first year of planting.  They are managing in rather
poor, red clay based soil and have pretty much been short on moisture
since planting.  What has done really well in those conditions and grow
next door are the Dutch irises.  These seem to resent too much moisture
during the dormant summer months.  Those that get it on a regular basis
dwindle out in a few years.  The reticulata seemed to have responded to
the same conditions.  I have a considerable amount of increase as I had
with the Dutch iris last year AND they seem to be blooming.  At least I
am getting multiple blooms from one spot.

I only had 4 danfordiae survive the initial planting and bloom.  This year
there are four and so far all but one have had two blooms each.  The other
has one bud poking up and I don't think there will be another.  Shall find
out I guess.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 where is has been too dry, too long.

If you like the colors orange and blue, you will like our new web site!