CULT:germination inhibitors

From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.Lakeheadu.Ca>

On 2/20/99  celia storey <storey@aristotle.net> wrote:

<But Dan, we can assume students want to get off the bus.
Given this voodoo of the "germination inhibitors" we cannot
assume that every seed wants to awaken and grow.>

The three times I have planted iris seeds outdoors in the
fall, they have come up the following spring as if they
arrived on a bus, most emerging within a day for each
different species or variety planted.

The one time I tried planting dried seeds of an iris
(setosa) in the spring, planting as early as I could get
them into the ground---- the seeds emerged over a more
extended time.

Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario

Suggestions on how we can improve ONElist? Go to the 'Suggestion'
box on our new web site. http://www.onelist.com