HIST: HYB: P. Brown rebloomers

  • Subject: HIST: HYB: P. Brown rebloomers
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:28:16 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Sometime in the life of the list, there was some discussion about the
extraordinarily durable and hardy but ugly introductions of Percy
Brown.  The only place I've found that lists any of these is Winterberry
Gardens in Virginia.  Last year (have they sent out catalogs yet this
SUMMER GREEN SHADOWS, and SUMMER WHITEWINGS.  I traced these all back as
far as I could (without going thru TWOI & Mike's posted pedigrees to
pick up info not in the R&Is) & have absolutely no conclusions to

Was that suspenseful?

Some not too informative observations - Pedigrees involve a lot of
cultivars that have not appeared in any of the pedigrees I've traced
back for either the few historics I'm testing this year that have the
winter, relatively cold resistant evergreen foliage OR for the
fall/winter deciduous ones.  No dwarf genes showed up for sure anywhere
(LOTS of dead end pedigrees - I will check posted chromosome counts
next).  Most of the ancestral crosses appear to be wider than most of
the pedigrees I've looked at.  [Each page of my pedigree notes for each
cultivar is full of names without much duplication].  I also learned
that I can't read my own handwriting after wasting a lot of time trying
to find MAY MANOR - actually MARY VERNON.

What is AUREA?  Is that a variety of I. variegata?  Is FAIRDAY the same

I also notice that Winterberry Gardens list PURISSIMA and SNOW FLURRY,
so unless the Spoons are shipping them in from somewhere else, or
growing them with special protection from the weather, these two must be
able to tolerate some degree of winter cold & summer hot wet growing
conditions, if not the fierce Tennessee rollercoaster west of the
Appalachian Mountains.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA