Re: CULT: medians

  • Subject: Re: CULT: medians
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:06:40 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
>

> I do wish some discussion of the growth habits of the medians by
> those with experience could be posted.  Mine sure don't look good in
> comparison to the TBs.  Is it normal for them to look so pathetic?  Are
> the harsher weather patterns in North Central West Texas too much
> for them.  Too hot?  Too dry?  Are their cultivation requirements that
> different from TBs?  The MTBs look especially marginal.  The IBs and
> SDBs not a lot better.

	Donald, I gardened in Ft. Worth for many years and can attest to
the conditions of your medians.  MDB's were a lost cause for me even
though they were planted in partial shade and were watered.  The
combination of heat and a shallow root system seemed to do them in.
SDB's grew but the bloom was never perfect.  I don't think any SDB
that bloomed for me in FW ever achieved the registered height.  Most
blooms never got out of the fan and many needed my help in opening
their flowers.  I always kept a few to cross with arilbreds to get
quarter arilmedians.  MTB's would grow but hardly ever bloom.  IB's
seemed to be the best of the medians.  I cannot remember any problems
with them and they were always such a delight in bloom when a late
freeze or frost got the SDB's.  I highly recommend IB's for your
area.

	I might add that my experience with medians in MS is about the same
as in TX.  Of course, we get much more rain in MS.  Some locals says
that the poor bloom on medians is caused by the lack of sufficient,
sustained cold weather......the same as for tulips unless you chill
them in the refrigerator for forty days prior to planting in early
January.

	After seeing all the beautiful MTB's at the Michigan Convention, I
decided to try them again.  None bloomed last year, so I am anxiously
awaiting bloom on the two year clumps this spring.  I am keeping my
fingers crossed.  They can be quite a sight when they are happy.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS

If you like the colors orange and blue, you will like our new web site!
http://www.onelist.com