  • From: Gordon & Loraine Nicholson <iris4u@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 07:31:57 -0800

From: Gordon & Loraine Nicholson <iris4u@pacbell.net>

Dear Char R.  Welcome to the world of expressing your thoughts on iris
and sharing them with the rest of us. I kind of know your part of Idaho,
have allot of iris friends there. Now on to weed-whacking, I guess we
are rather blessed here in the golden state since it is only necessary
to pull off old leaves in doing general cleanup.  I for one really enjoy
the different shades of green that iris impart to their surrounding
plants.  Since we are commercial and have not had the land (till this
year) to leave plants in the ground more then one year we have not
really had a clean up job to do because we always trim just before we
replant (in other words we do not trim when we dig) and some sit
patiently in their containers for weeks waiting to be planted.  We use
the "wacker" on fence lines and such.  By the way our new fields of iris
are (and I am going to whisper this) almost weed free, now our show
garden is another thing, the aisles are weed free, but the iris are
covererd with mulch (you know the living green companion plants,
weeds).  So much babbling and so little time to do it!!  John, did I use
the correct subject title????  lorraine in Sunny California at Woodland
Iris Gardens