Cult: Spring Cleanup

  • Subject: Cult: Spring Cleanup
  • From: David Silverberg <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:08:05 -0800

Pat: The act of burning off the dead leaves in your garden is not an entirely new concept. The idea, I believe, was original with Ella Porter McKinney in her book Iris in The Little Garden, 1927. She discusses the procedure at length in Chapter XV, Diseases, Pests and Remedies. Based on what I read  in her book many years go I have been burning consistently. McKinney championed the process as a means of control and almost total elimination of iris borer from her garden. If the flame is hot enough, I would suspect that we could also do away with many of those spores that cause leaf spot.
Dave Silverberg (who is going back to lurking)
Molalla, Oregon, Zone 6,7,8 ???