OT: an old garden thoroughly weedwhacked

  • Subject: OT: an old garden thoroughly weedwhacked
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:35:29 PST

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>> Nice way to splatter leaf spot spores everywhere and leave ragged
>>edges to invite in rot.  No, thanks.
> Well said.  I would like to second this.  Someone in Kentucky [with
>a bunch of un-named Irises] did this and the result was a disaster.
>With twisted leaves still attached to the rhizomes, and dead leaf
litter all over the place, the weakened plants all rotted.
>Mark A. Cook

My first irises ever were in an old garden that had been owned by keen
gardeners who raised many varieties of daffodils, glads, hellebors,
Peonies, and there was a patch of some purple irises that bloomed once.
Exhusband was very keen on native plants and lawn, so busily mowed
everything down with the lawn mower, dug up the non natives and planted
Australian native plants. I was preoccupied with very young children and
did not know a lot about gardening at that stage. I did manage to 'save'
all the daffs by digging them up and giving them away.
The mower finished off the irises in one season, with the help of a
heavy invasion of weeds. I sometimes wish I could have a second chance
at that lovely garden and bring back to life some of the precious
specimens it contained. Odd that I'm trying to re-create that style of
garden in much harsher conditions where Australian native plants would
be happier!
Cheers, Jan

Explore a new interest; start a new hobby. Go to http://www.onelist.com