Re: CULT: Spring cleanup

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Spring cleanup
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:56:10 PST

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

> This is not for the tender hearted, but I have used a weed burner to
>completely burn off the dead foliage of SIB: and TB.
>Pat Cory central Iowa USDA zone 5

My chooks (Chickens to the US'ers) look pretty tatty when they're
moulting. I wonder if the weed burner would do a good job of cleaning
them up too? <grin>

Sorry, I'm far too tender hearted to burn my iris foliage. I am pleased
to say that people have been commenting on how nice my garden looks
lately. It's the hottest month of the year, and the irises look neat,
and their companions are all in bloom (Salvias, Lavenders, coreopsis
etc) Every couple of days I remove the loose leaves from one or two beds
of iris. I just do it as I drag the hose around. Weeds come out at the
same time - doesn't take long if you don't let them get away. So now my
garden beds look really tidy. Everyone has been far too polite to
comment about the large piles of leaves, weeds, etc they encounter as
they walk along my wide paths. Oh well, I guess I'll get round to
carting them away with the wheelbarrow eventually. Some of them have
already become compost!
Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia

We have a new web site! http://www.onelist.com