Re: Cult: Luminata

  • Subject: Re: Cult: Luminata
  • From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:20:58 -0500

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Just to make sure that we are all singing from the same hymn book; I have
placed the report of the committee which defined the iris pattern,
"Luminata." on the HIPS website.

It is at http://www.worldiris.com   go to the HIPS table of Contents, go to
News Items and click on "Median Iris Society's Genetics Study Panel" I have
placed links to early luminatas such as the class definer, Moonlit Seas,
the first known luminata, Bertha Gersdorff and several other early examples
such as Aladdin's Wish, Pretty Pansy and Cuba Libre.

I would suspect that DOUBLE OH SEVEN would fit more comfortably in the
catagory of: 'Space Age zonal' than luminata.

Here is the 'kernal' of the Panel's defination: "Luminata is a genetically
reproducible anthocyanin pattern having its color present in an irregular
marbling in the central areas of the petals and absent in the peripheral
areas. The marbling effect is produced by non-anthocyanin veining (white or
yellow), and there is no anthocyanin in the hafts, the stylearms or the

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A

We have a new web site!
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services