Re/CULT: Fallen Leaves/Bacteria

  • Subject: Re/CULT: Fallen Leaves/Bacteria
  • From: "Lora L. Masche" <loramasche@cdepot.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:37:45 -0800

From: "Lora L. Masche" <loramasche@cdepot.net>

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it has been my understanding that
bacteria, fungus etc goes dormant during winter.  If fallen leaves and
debris from plants, irises etc, are allowed to remain on the grown, the
ground becomes infected with whatever bacteria the leaves have. There is a
good chance when spring comes and the area around the plant has not been
cleaned up from winter, disease occurs and spreads the bacteria from place
to place.  Therefore, is it a good idea to use dead foliage as a mulch?
I feel it is important to keep the whole area around plants cleared of weeds
etc, to reduce any possible disease that could be carried over from the
following year, and the infestation of unwanted bugs.
Lora L. Masche
Forquin Mountain Iris Garden
21643 Shake Ridge Road
Volcano, CA 95689