Re: CULT: medians

  • Subject: Re: CULT: medians
  • From: DWiris@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:02:16 EST

From: DWiris@aol.com

Dear Donald,

I think the high shade might work well for medians.  At my father's garden in
Carlsbad, he has afternoon shade from two pecan trees at the west end of his
city garden.  He has good bloom from SDBs and decent bloom from MDBs, because
Carlsbad does have rather cold weather in December and January and the SDBs
and MDBs bloom early before the trees are fully leafed out.  I agree with
Walter that IBs are probably the most adaptable for warmer climates.  When you
talk of oak trees, I wonder about the pH of your soil.  Our dwarfs and medians
seem to like it fairly neutral and really appreciate compost added to the
soil.  The dwarfs like to grow among rocks which keep their roots cool in
summer and prevent heaving in winter.  My father has a low concrete block wall
along the south edge of his yard.  This is about 4 feet from the driveway.
The half of this area nearest the wall is a bed of SDBs and IBs.  The half
next to the driveway is grass.  The irises seem to like the protection of the
wall, as they are some of the best in the yard.  They may get watered more
because the grass needs it.  Heights there are somewhat variable, but they do
get out of the foliage.  He also does well with Dutch irises and Spurias,
neither of which last here.

Wishing you success with the medians.

Dorothy

Did you know that we have over 85,000 e-mail communities at Onelist?
http://www.onelist.com
Come visit our new web site and explore a new interest