Re: CULT: fall cleanup

  • Subject: Re: CULT: fall cleanup
  • From: Irisborer@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 05:09:47 EST

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 2/24/1999 9:29:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, ddbro@llano.net
writes:

<< We don't trim our foliage back down here unless we are digging.  We do
 clean up our beds in the fall and again in the spring but other than
 that I use the fallen leaves as natural mulch. >>

And that's also a wonderful iris borer nursery  (:

One good reason to cut down iris foliage is to give borers fewer places to lay
their eggs.  Another theory has it that you SHOULD leave the foliage on and
trim it in the early spring... therefore having a greater chance of removing
any eggs that may exist.

To trim or not to trim is a non-issue in western NY since heavy snow cover and
low temperatures WILL kill the existing foliage and it's only a question of
should it come off before or after.

But it must come off since this is the place where borers will spring - or, in
the case of beardless - it can also accomodate voles.

Kathyguest in East Aurora, NY
where what foliage is out there cut into a sprightly little point - is a nasty
blackish color