Re: CULT: fall cleanup

  • Subject: Re: CULT: fall cleanup
  • From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:12:21 -0800

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

>>There's no good reason to trim irises in the fall or any other time unless
you are having problems with leaf spot.  Otherwise, let the foliage die off
naturally and pull away the dead leaves.<<

Nice to hear this opinion. I usually trim back the irises in the display areas and nursery beds but leave the hybridizing beds till spring.

Since we're a cold wet area in the spring, leaf spot can turn into a problem if plants aren't trimmed back in the fall and mice are always busy in the more closely planted displays. The only borer I've ever seen came in from an Eastern nursery and was squished immediately.

The hybridizing bed is another matter. No mice since the plants are farther apart, but leaf spot IS encouraged. Anything showing a resistance is on the list as a possible parent. Anything succumbing is compost.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA

Come check out our brand new web site!
Onelist: Making the Internet intimate