Re: CULT: fall cleanup

  • Subject: Re: CULT: fall cleanup
  • From: "Dennis Kramb" <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:59:05 -0500

From: "Dennis Kramb" <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

>Not being one to use time and energy needlessly, she trims her TBs using a weed
>whacker (nylon filament type) then simply rakes up the debris.
>
>This sounds almost too easy. Has anyone else tried this?

Christy, a guy I used to work with mows his TB iris beds over in early
October leaving only 2"-3" of green stumps left.  And he never has a problem
with iris borer.  He doesn't use any pesticides, and he knows nothing of
irises except they're pretty.  It's just that decades ago someone told him
this is what he should do, and so he does it.  And he never has problems!

I will try this technique myself this coming fall.

Dennis Kramb (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, USDA Zone 6)
Irises & Native Wildflowers URL:  http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html

We have a new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services