Re: CULT: medians, arilbreds

  • Subject: Re: CULT: medians, arilbreds
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:15:16 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> >From: Diana Winship <mikesmom@ix.netcom.com>
> >
> >Dana Brown wrote:
> >
> > I have heard from several people in the DFW area that the MDB's and
> >SdB's do not perform really well for them
> >
> >Hi there Dana. Yes, the MDB's are anything to write home about, but the
> >SDB's couldn't be happier. Just about the only ones that almost refuse
> >to grow here are the arils and Japanese. We can get a few going if
> >they're babyed right.
> >
> >Diana

	I guess we are dealing with micro climates.  I discussed earlier my
poor luck with medians in my Ft. Worth garden, which was pobably 50
to 60 miles away from Diana in Richardson, where medians flourish.

	One of the premier arilbred hybridizers is Lin Flanagan in Ft.
Worth, again about the same distance from Diana, where arilbreds
won't grow.

	Also, soils can vary greatly over short distances.  I had the
wonderful sandy loam type in Ft. Worth; whereas, my brother who lived
ten miles away, had the black gumbo clay that dries into chunks of
coal after it is tilled.   I tried planting some of my irises in his
garden.  They struggled.  So, a lot of factors are to be figured into
your success or lack of.....with medians or arilbreds in this case.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Have you visited our new web site?
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: Helping to create Internet communities