Re: CULT: Perennializing reticulatas

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Perennializing reticulatas
  • From: "Dennis Kramb" <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:07:00 -0500

From: "Dennis Kramb" <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

>From: "Robert Dickow" <dickow@uidaho.edu>
>I planted quite a few different bulbous reticulata
>type iris a few years ago, yellows, blues, and
>purples of common cultivars. Most deteriorated and
>went blind in the second year--as is normal--with
>the exception of some clumps of a dark blue/purple
>plant that gets better and better each year. Is this
>a known phenomenon for certain clones, or was I
>just lucky at planting them in the right place and
>at the right depth? I didn't bother to note down
>where I planted each variety, so I have no idea what
>the names are on the perennialized ones.

Dear Bob,

How deep did you plant them?  How much sunlight do they get in late
winter/early spring?  How much moisture do they get year round?  Are they
competing for moisture with huge trees in the summertime?  What type of soil
are they planted in?  Do you know the pH?

Idaho should be a perfect place to grow reticulata irises.  So hopefully we
can figure out what's going wrong for you.

Dennis Kramb (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, USDA Zone 6)
Irises & Native Wildflowers URL:  http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html

We have a new web site!
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services