JI: SIB: winter dormancy

  • Subject: JI: SIB: winter dormancy
  • From: "Mark A. Cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:38:22 -0500

From: "Mark A. Cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

J.F. Hensler wrote:

> I'm wondering if some of the folks from the warmer areas might give me
>an idea on winter dormancy of both JIs and SIBs.
>Do either of these retain green leaves all season? Through mild frosts?
>Hard frosts if following weather warms?

Christy,
     In both winters I have lived here, the JI and SIB Irises both go
totally dormant.  The foliage persists much later here, and it takes
about three or four hard freezes to brown the leaves.  It is still too
early to tell if these will actually grow here, but they are starting to
show some signs of awakening.  I have wondered if they may have a
photoperiodic trait.  We are still getting some light freezes, which
does slow things a bit.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, Florida.

If you like orange and blue, then you will love our new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: Fostering connections and information exchange