Re: CULT: Rot and Soap

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Rot and Soap
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:52:13 -0800

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

vince lewonski wrote:
> From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
>    There are several brands of liquid dish soap on the market now that
> advertise that they are antibacterial. (I have Ajax here.) Since many
> people add soap as a sticker when spraying for leaf spot and borer
> anyway, it occurs to me - does anyone know if the biocide in the soap
> may kill or inhibit the bacteria responsible for causing rot? Should
> we be covering our irises with thousands of tiny scrubbing bubbles? Or
> have I been watching too many commercials again?
>    The active ingredient listed is Triclosan, if this helps.

I heard a Dr DEan news bite a couple of weeks ago that said that regular
liquid dish soap did at least as good a job at killing germs as the
antibacterial soap and in some cases better.  Just another bit if info...

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:

To reply to me personally click on
Fremont, California, USA

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site