Re: JI & SIB: winter dormancy

  • Subject: Re: JI & SIB: winter dormancy
  • From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:05:40 -0500

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 02:05 PM 2/25/99 -0800, you wrote:
>From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
>

>I'm wondering if some of the folks from the warmer areas might give me an
idea on winter dormancy of both JIs and SIBs.

>Do either of these retain green leaves all season? Through mild frosts?
Hard frosts if following weather warms?

Siberians die off completely here in Northeast Tennessee, making them
really easy to clean up after. Japanese also die off completely. Our
beardeds, for the most part, retain green foliage all winter long, and the
weather is often warm enough that they get attacked by aphids. In fact,
what I used to think was frost damage to the tips turned out to be aphid
damage. For some reason, I have brown aphids, and my mother has green ones.
She lives about 10 miles away.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster:
	http://www.Historic-Jonesborough.com
	http://www.washingtoncountytn.com
	http:jonesborough.tricon.net
Persimmon Katz
       http://kpt1.tricon.net/Personal/hirundo/
   ^~^
 { o o }
 >  "  <  html wizard and frog stalker

Did you know that we have over 85,000 e-mail communities at Onelist?
http://www.onelist.com
Come visit our new web site and explore a new interest