Re: Growing arils

  • Subject: Re: Growing arils
  • From: "Dennis Kramb" <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:24:03 -0500

From: "Dennis Kramb" <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

>Dennis, I would love to be able to row Arils -- But we usually have toomuch
>rain, and todig them up and then replant later is a no-no for me -- once an
>iris gets in the ground it is there to stay as far as human hands are
>concerned  until time to remake the bed.  But I think arils are so exotic and
>different  - I   would  love to be able to have them- they are so startling if
>you haven't seen them before - and so few people in this area have -- besides
>they   bloom before the others.  How did you manage in Ohio -- or did you dig
>them up?   Rosalie nr Baltimore  zone 7 where we had over an inch of rain
>yesterday - but that's better than snow --- and where I have to hve a sump
>pump in my cellar, which is a an old-fashioned cellar, not a club room!

Dear Rosalie, my arils did indeed croak over the winter.  We had warm temps
January and then a sudden deeeeeeeep freeze which did them in.  On the other
hand the arilbreds (3/4-breds, 1/2-breds, and 1/4-breds) are still doing
Just the arils died.  I'm not giving up though.  I still have lots of
techniques to
try out, and surely something will work, and I'll manage to get them to
up here in Ohio!

Dennis Kramb (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, USDA Zone 6)
Irises & Native Wildflowers URL:  http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html

Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
Onelist: A free email community service