Re: CULT: TB: Moving TB's NOW..Help!

  • Subject: Re: CULT: TB: Moving TB's NOW..Help!
  • From: "Steve Rust" <srust@fidnet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:43:27 -0600

From: "Steve Rust" <srust@fidnet.com>

----------
> From: Tammy King <tlking@ap.net>
> To: iris-talk@onelist.com
> Subject: [iris-talk] CULT: TB: Moving TB's NOW..Help!
> Date: Friday, February 26, 1999 4:05 PM
>
> From: Tammy King <tlking@ap.net>
>
> Hi all~
>
> Been awhile since I've posted anything to the list, but am now in need of
> some serious help.
>
> I will be moving on either April 1st or May 1st, and am taking my irises
> with me. Several are already in pots, started out that way. All of the
> irises in the beds are really starting to grow rapidly, but I wan't those
> to come with me too. My plan is to dig them up and keep as much soil
around
> them as possible and put them in pots too. My main questions are:
>
> #1. Should I dig them now, or wait until it's really close to moving
date?
> They're in a really big growing period right now, haven't seen so much
> green in all my life!!
>
> #2. (this is kind of incidental, but thought I'd ask anyway) If I can
keep
> the soil around the roots, is there any chance I'll see bloom this
season?
> This is their first year with me, and I REALLY want to see them bloom!!
>
> Thanks for any help you can give...
>
> Dear Tammy:
We are not in the same zone; I am in Zone 5b in Union, MO.  We had to move
my aunt's iris at the same time last year to her new home.  She began
potting up the smaller iris clumps (mostly first year or small
medians)several months before her move.  These never knew they were moved
and did fine.  Several did bloom.  The larger clumps we didn't dig until
last.  These were so large we had to put them in boxes.  Some we kept as
much soil on as possible, and some we didn't.  If you have a garden already
prepared (she had a new garden ready for about one fourth of hers) most of
the plants show very little effect from the move.  The plants she left the
soil on did perform better than the ones she rinsed clean.  There was some
distortion of stalk or flower on those that did bloom, but you would be
surprized at the quality of rebloom she had later in the year (probably
soil new to iris)!  So, don't be afraid to move them.  Anything small
enough to pot up as soon as possible will probably go ahead and bloom.
Hope you enjoy your new garden!

Cindy Rust, Zone 5b, Missouri.  Locked the horses up anticipating rain, so
of course its not raining!