Re: REF: Judges Handbook help requested

  • Subject: Re: REF: Judges Handbook help requested
  • From: DWiris@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:58:56 EST

From: DWiris@aol.com

The section on collections says: " A collection should be composed of stalks
of the same type or iris.  A good show schedule will provide for classes with
either three or five stalks per collection.  It will specify the color
composition of the collection, e.g. all selfs, all plicatas, all whites, all
different, etc.  Since multiple stalks may result in crowding or damage to
individual blooms, the schedule should specify whether specimens are to be
displayed in one container or in individual containers.  The schedule should
also state who will furnish the container(s)."

"Each different variety must be properly labeled to be eligible for an AIS
award; if all stalks are the same variety, one label will suffice.  Labels
should be unobtrusive and preferably external to the exhibit."

In our shows, we have never set up classes for collections by color.  We
generally have a class for three stems of the same variety, divided by type of
iris (i.e. SDB, MTB, TB, SIB, etc.).  Often a class will specify three irises
by the same hybridizer or just three stems of the same type.  Five seems like
a lot to expect.  We display collections in three separate containers with one
label for all the same variety or three labels for different varieties.
Medians are more adaptable to collections than TBs.  MTBs are especially nice
in collections and so are Siberians.

Best wishes on your scheduling.

Dorothy Willott

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services