Re: REF: Judges Handbook help requested

  • Subject: Re: REF: Judges Handbook help requested
  • From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:04:28 -0500

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Anner quotes, then asks:

>In a message dated 2/27/99 12:01:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, DWiris@aol.com
>writes:
>
><< The section on collections says: " A collection should be composed of
>stalks
> of the same type of iris.  >>
>
>What is intended by "type" in this context, please.
>
>On the face of it there would seem to be several viable interpretations based
>on different inclusive botanical categories. One assumes it is made more clear
>in the manual?
>
>Just curious......

No, the manual does not expound further on this point. However, for
expansion on "type" one must look at the "Handbook for Judges' and Show
Officials" in overall context. In reality, horticultural 'types' i.e., TB,
BB, IB, SDB, and to a lesser extent, the other 'size/season' defined types
dominate the majority of AIS sanctioned flower shows.

Walter writes...

>Somebody said they should all be 'queen of the show' stalks, but I
>would think those super stalks should be reserved for the Best
>Specimen competition. How can one put 3 to 5 stalks with three open
>blooms in a container and not damage them?  Some sort of wedging
>material would have to be used, and that would look unsightly.  And,
>who can muster up as many as five 'queens' for a collection?

You may be somewhat 'TB centric' here, Walter. In the late 80s I judged a
show in which J. D. Stadler had entered 5 absolutely perfect, any one of
which could have been a contender for 'Best Specimen of Show;' gramineas.
On a practical standpoint of; "Can I reasonably expect one of these tiny,
'view up close' flowers to walk with Best Specimen of Show honors? A
pragmatic person would answer in the negative and do as J.D. did, enter in
the '5 stalk collection' and walk with sure blue, and 'Best of Section'
honors. I have never judged a better, more perfectly matched collection and

Walter further comments...
>Like,  a collection can be displayed in one container or in
>individual containers.  To me, a collection should be in one
>container....not five different ones.

This particular entry discussed above had each stalk in a small pick, the
five picks in a shallow, flat container. The main point is that the exhibit
displayed a strong visual 'unity' even though each stem was in a separate
holder.

Cheers,

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A

We have a new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services