Re: REF: Judges Handbook help requested

  • Subject: Re: REF: Judges Handbook help requested
  • From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:56:03 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

	Anner started the thread with:

> ><< The section on collections says: " A collection should be composed of
> >stalks
> > of the same type of iris.  >>
> >
> >What is intended by "type" in this context, please.
> >
> >On the face of it there would seem to be several viable interpretations based
> Walter writes...
> >Somebody said they should all be 'queen of the show' stalks, but I
> >would think those super stalks should be reserved for the Best
> >Specimen competition. How can one put 3 to 5 stalks with three open
> >blooms in a container and not damage them?
	Mike added:

> You may be somewhat 'TB centric' here, Walter. In the late 80s I judged a
> show in which J. D. Stadler had entered 5 absolutely perfect, any one of
> which could have been a contender for 'Best Specimen of Show;' gramineas.
> On a practical standpoint of; "Can I reasonably expect one of these tiny,
> 'view up close' flowers to walk with Best Specimen of Show honors? A
> pragmatic person would answer in the negative and do as J.D. did, enter in
> the '5 stalk collection' and walk with sure blue, and 'Best of Section'
> honors. I have never judged a better, more perfectly matched collection .
> Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
> South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A

	Probably so.  My experience with collections has been strictly tall
bearded or Louisiana, where five in a single container are too
jumbled.  I can see that smaller types or species would make for a
better display.

	Thanks for your input.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Have you visited our new web site?
Onelist: Helping to create Internet communities